2.09.2012

Book Review: That Day in September by Artie Van Why

We all have our stories to tell of where we were the morning of September 11, 2001. This is one of them. In "That Day In September" Artie Van Why gives an eyewitness account of that fateful morning. From the moment he heard "a loud boom" in his office across from the World Trade Center, to stepping out onto the street, Artie vividly transports the reader back to the day that changed our lives and our country forever. "That Day In September" takes you beyond the events of that morning. By sharing his thoughts, fears and hopes, Artie expresses what it was like to be in New York City in the weeks and months following. The reader comes away from "That Day In September" with not only a more intimate understanding of the events of that day but also with a personal glimpse of how one person's life was dramatically changed forever.
 
 
 
When I was younger I often wondered what would be our tragedy. I would hear the older people in my family talk about where they were when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated or what they were doing when they heard President Kennedy was killed. I wondered what moment in history would happen that would stick with me the rest of my life and allow me to have that "I remember what I was doing when that happened" moment. September 11, 2001, I got that moment and so did Artie. That tragedy affected everyone even people like me who were hundreds of miles away just watching it on TV but Mr. Van Why was there, in the building, at the center. His memoir is very well written and easy to follow. His words transport you to the epicenter of the tragedy in a very raw and authentic way. I felt like I was there on the street with him living the moments as well. This book isn't over done, its the perfect length and gives you all the details you need in a petite package. Artie was able to relate the situation without being overly emotional or dramatic, it was all very matter of fact. Yet, I felt able to connect to him and the day and all of the people he came in contact with. Only downside, I really want to know what happened to the man in the street. Did he survive?
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...