1.21.2016

BOOK REVIEW: See Me by Nicholas Sparks


Title: See Me
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Publication Date: October 13, 2015
Print Length: 486 pages
Publisher: Grand Central 

Summary: See me just as I see you . . .

Colin Hancock is giving his second chance his best shot. With a history of violence and bad decisions behind him and the threat of prison dogging his every step, he's determined to walk a straight line. To Colin, that means applying himself single-mindedly toward his teaching degree and avoiding everything that proved destructive in his earlier life. Reminding himself daily of his hard-earned lessons, the last thing he is looking for is a serious relationship.

Maria Sanchez, the hardworking daughter of Mexican immigrants, is the picture of conventional success. With a degree from Duke Law School and a job at a prestigious firm in Wilmington, she is a dark-haired beauty with a seemingly flawless professional track record. And yet Maria has a traumatic history of her own, one that compelled her to return to her hometown and left her questioning so much of what she once believed.

A chance encounter on a rain-swept road will alter the course of both Colin and Maria's lives, challenging deeply held assumptions about each other and ultimately, themselves. As love unexpectedly takes hold between them, they dare to envision what a future together could possibly look like . . . until menacing reminders of events in Maria's past begin to surface.

As a series of threatening incidents wreaks chaos in Maria's life, Maria and Colin will be tested in increasingly terrifying ways. Will demons from their past destroy the tenuous relationship they've begun to build, or will their love protect them, even in the darkest hour?

My  Review: So I have a crush on Nicholas Sparks, have since forever. When I need to read something set in a beautiful location (**I wish I could live in Wilmington in real life) that pulls and tugs all on my little hearts strings and makes me cry some, I look to Nicholas Sparks. He crafts novels that are easy to see unfolding in front of you. I always get wrapped up in his story. However, this one is a little different. For one, I don't think I shed one tear. Nope, not a one. Which is fine. Sometimes you want a love story where none of the main characters die or get cancer. I was surprised by this though. Both of the main characters stood so well independently. Typically, when novels alternate voices I tend to lean more towards one then the other but not with this book. Colin and his side of the story kept me just as interested as Maria and her side of the story. I enjoyed all the characters in this books. 

Secondly, the drama in this book was different then the other Sparks novels I've read. This had a suspense/who-dun-it element. It was kind of a downside to me just because of who actually ended up dun-it. I feel like he still could have kept the suspense/mystery but I really would have preferred more of Colin's life in that aspect. Whew, that was hard. I was trying to give my opinion without spoiling the story. I believe I was successful. Was I? Maybe not. There were touch and go moments when I was thinking, 'who's going to die?' 'Is he going to die?' 'Or will it be her?' That part of the suspense I loved. Everyone was in danger during this story at one point in time. Oh wait I just remembered, there was death in this book. Sigh. 

Anyways,  I thoroughly enjoyed this book except for that one little personal preference part. But it's Nicholas Sparks so I expected to enjoy this novel. And since almost all of his books become movies as soon as I started reading I was deciding who should play who in the movie. These are my picks:

John Cena as Colin

Of course John Cena is Colin. No one else came to mind while reading. His face is the only face I saw in my head the whole time. He fits perfectly physically with his big, rough wrestling tough guy thing. Oh, Colin is a MMA fighter (as well as a student) who we are introduced to with healing bruises and cuts from a recent fight. I'm not sure about John Cena's range as an actor but he would be perfect physically.


Gina Rodriguez as Maria

This was a easy character choice as well. Maria is a shy woman focused on her career and her family. She's not someone you would typically see with the Colin type. Although, I severely dislike Jane, the virgin (ugh the whole premise in just stupid), I think she would be perfect for this part. She has the mannerisms and physical appearance of Maria.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...