2.08.2011

Book Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. His life depends on it. (Synopsis from Goodreads.com) __________________________________________________________________

First, let me say I love Edgar Allen Poe, his poems, the whole mystery surrounding him. Love him. So when I saw that this book incorporated his works and his life, I had to read it. The synopsis of this book didn't do the book justice at all. It was nothing like I expected from reading the back of the book. This book sucked you in the beginning with the normal YA high school teenage angst and setting then sucked you in in a different direction halfway through. Kelly created this vitual paranormal, supernatural world and characters on top of the real world. Her writing style is so vivid and beautiful I had worlds and dimensions and creatures appearing in front of me like a movie. I couldn't put this book down.

There was only one thing about this book that I didn't like. The Ending. I suppose there will be a sequel to this book. I don't usually have much patience to wait for a sequel to come out. I usually like to have the next book ready and waiting so I can finish one and go on to the other. But I will definitely have to get the next book when it comes out.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...